INFO ON FATTY ACIDS:
- Polyunsaturated fats are healthy fats. They include Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are possibly the most important of the omega’s because they tend to supress inflammation in our bodies. Inflammation is a major cause of degenerative diseases. Omega-3 is most lacking in modern diets and our bodies cannot produce more of it. Therefore it is essential that we include it in our diets.
- Omega-6 fatty acids, although important, are abundant in many of the foods we consume. Most often our levels of omega-6 are too high in our bodies. Omega-6 fatty acids tend to have pro inflammatory effects.
- It is important to balance your ratio of omega-3 : omega-6.
- Monounsaturated fats are also healthy fats. They include Omega-9 fatty acids.
- All fatty acids are essential to our bodies as they are converted into other molecules that perform vital roles in regulating, mediating, inducing and countering body functions. What is important is getting the balance right.
DENOVA OILS – 100% PURE AND NATURAL
- Avocado oil is made from the ripe avocado flesh which is sourced locally in our area and further afield. The fruit is chopped up, undergoes a gentle warming process and then the oil is mechanically extracted.
- Macadamia nut oil is pressed from the nut. The nuts are sourced locally from our area. The oil is extracted mechanically.
- Apricot kernel oil is pressed from the apricot kernel. The pip is dried and then cracked open and the oil is extracted mechanically.
- Vegetable oils are generally cholesterol free. However certain of these oils are more beneficial for your health depending on their fatty acid profile. The healthiest oils are those that are high in mono unsaturated fats and low in saturated fats - Denova Cullinary Oils fall into this category.
- Smoke point refers to the point at which a cooking oil starts to burn and produce chemicals that are potentially harmful. Generalyl oils that have smoke points above 200ºC are better for high temperature cooking (frying/sautéing/baking)